CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 25, 2008

Wonders in the Backyard

I came to love my rows, my beans, though so many more than I wanted.
They attached me to the earth, and so I got strength like Antaeus.
~Henry David Thoreau


The garden is a wonderful place. I'm always amazed at what grows and its' beauty. I've never been successful at growing flowers (TT and Marissa got that gift) but when it comes to veggies, they grow and grow (sometime to overwhelming proportions). I often feel like I'm working hand in hand with God when I'm planting, weeding and harvesting. It's a very personal and spiritual thing to me that those who don't till, plow, plant, water, and weed don't understand. When others enter my garden and tromp and pick and take as they please I always feel so violated. Yet the joy of giving something you helped grow is great. I often think of Grandma Spencer when I'm in the garden and feel a closeness I never felt. I also think about the Robinson's garden behind Devona's house - mine is puny compared to that!This year I decided to try and do most of the planting by seed (vs buying plants). To me, it is kind of cheating (and too expensive) when you buy half grown plants from IFA or Wal-Mart. I started in March indoors with the tomatoes, peppers, basil, pumpkins, etc. - 90% of what is growing now I planted by seed. A lot of the seeds were left over from last year and some are heirlooms - next year I want all of them to be heirlooms and I will save all the seeds. My favorite is the basil (mmmm pesto and brushetta) and corn is my least favorite (yet cost me the most - $9 for seeds). I have over 40 tomato plants - 4 different kinds - and so far we have eaten radishes (of course), spinach, lettuce, peas, and a pepper or two. Hopefully the rest of the harvest will be good.

1 comments:

KIngsburys said...

re. a bad streak:
hang in there michelle! when the going gets tough, we taureans get going! my latest piece of bad luck was being denied reentry back into the US, i expect your mom and mel has told you all about it. i hope to be back visiting mel end of sept. or so. mel's just booked tickets to visit me end of aug. yea! say 'hi' to everyone.
paul (and mel) x